Direct Modeling 1.5 for Houdini
1. Modeler mode
Modeler is a standalone modeling environment which allows you to use classic mesh modeling tools.
2. Soft Boolean toolset
Soft Boolean is an evolution of the Flux (https://vimeo.com/211722563) toolset for Houdini. Soft Boolean can create procedural models using boolean operations, but unlike the standard Boolean SOP, it creates soft transition between the cutter and the main geometry.
3. Geometry Library
Geometry Library allows you to catalog geometric data without saving them into separate files. This allows you to create different versions of models or use pieces of geometry to build more complex models (kitbashing). You can create subfolders in the Geometry Library and view the model as an icon which you can control for each model.
4. Insert Mesh
Insert Mesh is a node for embedding pieces of geometry in any place of the model. You can use this node in the node tree procedurally. But the main feature is using Insert Mesh in conjunction with the Geometry Library. That means you can create your own sets of geometry parts in the Geometry Library and embed them later in your model using Insert Mesh technology.
DM 1.5. What’s new:
- DM 1.5 core was rewritten from scratch
- SoftBoolean 1.1 – UI improvements and small optimizations, groups preservation, new soft boolean tools
- Geometry Library 1.5 – add elements by the construction plane, filter items with mask, set a material for icon rebuilding operation, UI fully revamped
- Menu. fully redesigned menu subsystem. You can now create custom menus with submenus by using a simple Python syntax. All the DM menus are now fully customizable and works much better with HiDPI displays
- DM shelf fully redesigned
- All tools and HDAs have icons
- Lots of new modeling HDAs
- Python code is now open
- Modeler – a brand new classic modeling environment. From now you can really model in Houdini like in other modeling programs